A Melbourne woman who started a petition to ban diners from drinking and smoking at nightclubs says she was “totally surprised” to find a few diners had gone back to sleep.
The petition started by the mother of a toddler at The Blue House nightclub in Melbourne’s CBD on Friday night has already gathered over 5,000 signatures and has been passed on to the Government.
“We have had a few people that were completely shocked, and I think there was one lady who said ‘I can’t believe I was even thinking of that’,” Ms Tiana Johnson said.
“I can see how it could be an excuse for someone to go to bed, but the reality is we all sleep at night.”
This has got to stop.
We’ve got to start having some sleep at home.
“It’s a bit ridiculous that people are still drinking and people are smoking.
It’s really disgusting.”
Ms Johnson said the nightclubs owners should be held accountable for allowing their patrons to stay late, and if they do, ban them from drinking or smoking.
“The people that are not coming to bars to drink and smoke, you know, that’s not what they want to do,” she said.
Ms Johnson is among more than 300,000 people who signed the petition calling for the ban to be lifted.
“They’re not allowed to get in,” she added.
“If they don’t like it they shouldn’t be allowed to have it in the first place.”
You’re just not going to be able to go into a club.
“There’s a lot of people who don’t feel comfortable going to a club.”‘
I felt sick’After her first night out, Ms Johnson was concerned for her toddler’s health.
“He had a very bad cough and he wasn’t drinking,” she told ABC News.
“So I just said, ‘What if he has a cold?’ and he was like, ‘Oh my God, I can’t do this’.”
“I just thought, ‘well, you can’t drink and still be safe’.”
She said she called the Melbourne City Health Department and was told to “get my toddler out of there”.
Ms Johnson was later advised she was not allowed in to the club, which was owned by the club’s owners.
“That’s when I just realised, what’s happening to me is not normal,” she explained.
“As soon as I was on the phone I just thought I was being paranoid.”
Then, a week later, I went back to the bar, and they said ‘well we can’t allow you to drink’ and I was like ‘well I’m not going back’.
“Ms Johnson now believes the club should have been banned for its “dangerous” rules.”
A lot of the people who have complained to us have had other health issues that were brought on by drinking and drinking and not being safe,” she continued.”
When it comes to people who are having a heart attack, people are dying because they’re not getting enough sleep, people aren’t getting enough exercise.
“She said the club had “a very unsafe environment” where people were drinking and “drinking and drinking”.”
It was really dangerous.
It was really unsafe,” she admitted.”
People would sit in the toilets and drink and drink.
And then they’d go out, drink and eat.
“Ms Tiana said she felt “embarrassed” and “embarrased” by her behaviour, and was now “trying to work through” her fear.”
How can I explain that I’m a mother, I love my child, I have a job, I do the right thing,” she remarked.
Topics:bar-and-restaurant-industry,melbourne-3000,vic,maroochydore-4558,vicnews-2650,vicSource: ABC News (AU)